366 days gone by (well...almost)! Time for Top 10 events, Top 10 movies, Top 10 sporting events, even Top 10 turkeys...
Personally, the year has been nothing short of eventful.
- Had to curse myself for being dead right in my predictions (about things I wouldn't talk here...would take too long to read).
- Took up (and sustained) photography and birdwatching as my hobbies.
- Traveled a ton. From the US to Europe, from India's east coast to the west, from hill stations to beaches, from business to tourism to family gatherings.
- Social networking a revelation, though I am still grappling with maintaining the momentum. Catch me on Facebook, Orkut, LinkedIn, Twitter and Flickr.
Events outside my influence which left an imprint (in no particular order):
- The "stormy" evening of 11/26. The saga left me wondering about the definitions of independence, security, safety and life.
- A recession that was long in the coming. Lehmann Brothers RIP...Jobs lost in the hundreds of thousands...At least, we now get gas cheaper.
- Corporate blunders, again anticipated, from Detroit. Another anticipated one, though closer to home and heart. Satyam planning to acquire Maytas for a ridiculous amount to strengthen its infrastructure vertical. Enough said!
- A resurgent India, in sports at least. While we must be proud of MSD and his boys and Abhinav Bindra among a host of other players, 2 questions come to my mind. Firstly, is our national passion benefiting from degrading standards in other cricketing teams? Secondly, when will Michael Phelps become a source of inspiration for our sporting committees?
- Where's the good news? Chandrayaan. Truly inspiring, given the image we have of Government organizations in India. I hope we'd not forgotten this so quickly and had made this a flagship story to improve our country.
- Barrack Obama.
And, of course, jargon that went out of fashion (Palinisms anyone) and those that would be used on us indiscriminately for sometime to come (non-state actors for one).